Sunday, August 16, 2015

Mastering one’s career path



    After finishing a bachelor’s programme, many people face a dilemma regarding what to do next. To work? To get a Master degree? If Master degree, then where and which subject?

    I also had this dilemma and was thinking about all pros and cons. I had a chance to stay in China for my masters but at the end I decided to leave and go to Germany.

    I had studied my bachelor with a focus on Chinese language and studies, so for my masters I was determined to broaden my skills to include business, economics, management and finance. I spent a year screening German universities until I found the Chinese European Economics and Business Studies (CEEBS) programme in Berlin School of Economics and Law and decided it was the best option for me, as it was a good school with a programme that offers modules that I need, and included a compulsory semester abroad in China. Perhaps the most attractive thing about the programme is that I will earn a double degree from both Berlin School of Economics and Law  and  Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE).

    My advice for people who are deliberating about their future after earning a bachelors degree is to take a break for a couple of years between bachelor and master studies, to work on internships, gain extra skills and try to understand what you really want to do and then go ahead and choose a program to study.

    From my experience in Germany, it’s really hard to get in master program with different subject from your bachelor subject. Luckily I found one, but it is much more difficult when you are changing programmes and you may be required to take additional course work prior to applying.

    If you are thinking of looking into furthering your education, I recommend checking out the following websites:

    http://www.studyportals.eu/ and

    http://www.mastersportal.eu/

    Here you can find a good list of university programs but the list does not contain all programmes available in Europe. Take the time to search on your own, based on your interests to find programmes that are best suited to you. There are literally hundreds of options for burgeoning professionals in a variety of fields. Enjoy the journey of discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment